The healthcare industry is the top target of cyber crime. HIPAA, passed by the government in 1996, is focused on privacy of patient and their information. Why is healthcare the top target?
- An average medical record is worth $350 on the black market in comparison to 50 cents for a credit card.
- Most healthcare entities are not following basic security hygiene outlined by HIPAA regulations.
ALERT: COVERED ENTITIES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR BUSINESS ASSOCIATE COMPLIANCE
While a business associate must agree to comply with HIPAA Rules and is responsible for ensuring the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of PHI in its possession, it is the responsibility of a covered entity to ensure that all business associates are complying with HIPAA Rules. If a business associate fails to comply with HIPAA Rules, it is the responsibility of the covered entity to take action to ensure noncompliance is corrected or the contract with the business associate is terminated. We offer vendor/business associate HIPAA compliance tracking. See a distributor for more information.
Non HIPAA compliance is costly and could lead to criminal charges.
To date, the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) has settled or imposed a civil money penalty for a total dollar amount of $102,681,582. OCR has investigated complaints against many different types of entities including: national pharmacy chains, major medical centers, group health plans, hospital chains, and small provider offices.
- The minimum fine for willful violations of HIPAA Rules is $50,000.
- The maximum criminal penalty for a HIPAA violation by an individual is $250,000.
- Restitution may also need to be paid to the victims which could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- In addition to the financial penalty, a jail term is likely for a criminal violation of HIPAA Rules
Get HIPAA compliant quickly and affordably
CyberCompass™ has taken the confusion, frustration and labor intensive requirements for HIPAA compliance and made it simple, easy and affordable.
Utilizing CyberCompass™ automated compliant software, CyberCompass™, you get a fast, effective and efficient solution to protect your business, patients and meet HIPAA requirements including business associate compliance. .
CyberCompass™ automates compliance with built-in expertise that translates HIPAA government requirements into layman’s terms. It does most of the heavy lifting with the analysis and compliance documentation to streamline HIPAA compliance workflow.
It is cloud-based, so it can be accessed anywhere with no software download. You don’t have to be a HIPAA or cybersecurity expert to use CyberCompass™.
Our automation can save your firm over 400 hours in twelve months on becoming and staying compliant.
- Answer one set of simple yes/no questions that meets HIPAA regulations
- Flexibility to start and stop – CyberCompass™ saves your progress
- Compliance gap report to gain visibility into your non-compliance and top priorities
- Built in step-by-step guide to fix issues and get compliant quickly
- CyberCompass™ online vault to save your “body of evidence” in one place
- Complete required training with our HIPAA Officer and staff training, plus track completion.
- Monitor your compliance for 12 months with dashboards and reporting